More In-Depth Bot Building Instructions
Here are the same basic four steps to build a bot with a bit more hand holding:
- CREATE: Click on Create New Bot button in the lower left hand corner of the main screen in the left hand panel (or in the center panel if you just logged in). This will open the Bot Setup screen. Fill out the form in the Bot Setup screen (which defaults to the General tab) field-by-field with the requested information. This is where you tell Gobot what you want to call your bot, what website you want your bot to appear on, and when you want your bot to appear. We need to take care of this basic administrative step before we start the process of telling our bot exactly what to say to our website visitors, which we do in the Script step below. OK, let's do it, after clicking Create New Bot proceed step-wise through each field in the Bot Setup screen as follows:
- Create a bot name and enter it in the first field. This is your internal file name for your bot, which will appear in the list of bots you create in the left panel of the main screen once you save and close out of the Bot Setup screen.
- In the second field, enter your bot display name. This is the bot name appearing in the bot header shown to your website visitors, e.g., "Conversation with Dave's Lumber". We suggest using your company name in this field.
- Next, associate your bot with a new or existing campaign. This will help you organize your bot list. So, for example, if you plan to run a promotion during the holiday season and you've designed a bot that only runs on or around Christmas you may want to call your campaign "Christmas Promotion".
- List the website you want your bot to appear on. You can choose for your bot to appear site wide, on a particular URL, or on any URL including a keyword you supply. If you are using a template this is the key field that you will need to fill out because many of the template triggers will already pre-selected for you. We suggest that copy and paste your URL directly from your browser rather than attempt to type it (many people mistype or forget to include the http:// or https://).
- You can set more advanced triggers for your bot by clicking on the Show Advanced Settings tab towards the top of the Bot Setup page. For more guidance on the advanced settings, click here.
- You can also connect your bot to your Google Analytics account by clicking on the Google Analytics tab. Google Analytics will populate a number of important analytics, e.g., how much longer visitors are staying on your site as a result of their engagement with Gobot. We highly recommend you integrate with Google Analytics but perhaps not on your first or second bot; give yourself some time to get a feel for how Gobot works first. When you are ready to learn more about the Google Analytics integration, click here.
- Click Save and Continue. This will close the Bot Setup form and bring you back to the main screen. You will note that your bot is now listed in the left hand panel under the campaign you chose or created.
- SCRIPT: Let's begin scripting your bot! Drag a Text box from your tool palette in the right panel into the center panel. This action will transition the right panel from a tool palette into a text editor window. In the right panel enter a message, e.g., "Welcome!", in the box below the message "Insert or Edit Text Below". You can also add an emoji if you are feeling bold! Click the Save button in the right panel and the "Welcome!" message will appear as a text bubble in the center panel. Consistent with conventional messaging format, the text line appears on the left side of the screen and it will appear on the left side of the Gobot message screen when it appears on your website. Responses from your website visitor, e.g., smart buttons, will appear on the right side of the screen (but for simplicity we do not include a button in this example).
- Repeat for as many text lines your script requires. You can reorder the text bubbles in the center panel by dragging them to the desired location. For this simple bot example we will stick to basic text lines. However, you can make for a more elaborate bot by including multiple choice questions, buttons, polls, email requests, surveys, video, images, giphy, among other things. Click here if you want to explore Gobot's right hand panel tool palette in more detail.
- TEST (optional): Test your bot by clicking on the Test button on the bottom left of the center panel. This should open up a new window showing your bot run on the intended website. The test run will not actually load on the intended website - it is just shown in the background for testing purposes. In the footer of the test page you can opt to customize the color and transparency of your bot and also shift the appearance of the bot from the right side of the screen to the left side. You will note that your bot appears in the lower right hand corner of the screen by default except when you have requested handoff to a live chat provider, which will automatically shift your bot to the lower left hand corner of the screen. Click the x in the upper right hand corner of the page to close test mode.
- PUBLISH: Publish your bot on your website by clicking the Publish button on the bottom right of the center panel. This will open a window with instructions. Click on the Publish button in the window and then the Install Gobot button, if you haven't already installed Gobot on your site.
- If your bot will be running on a WordPress site, and you haven't already downloaded Gobot from the WordPress plugin directory, click the WordPress button and follow the directions to complete the WordPress integration. The directions will direct you to login to your WordPress site, download Gobot, and then return to the Gobot site to publish your bot. You can find more detail about WordPress integration here.
- If your bot will be running on a Shopify site, and you haven't already downloaded Gobot from the Shopify app directory, click the Shopify button and follow the directions to complete the Shopify integration. The directions will direct you to login to your Shopify site, download Gobot, and then return to the Gobot site to publish your bot. You can find more detail about Shopify integration here.
- If your bot will be running on a Weebly site, and you haven't already downloaded Gobot from the Weebly app directory, click the Weebly button and follow the directions to complete the Weebly integration. The directions will direct you to login to your Weebly site, download Gobot, and then return to the Gobot site to publish your bot. You can find more detail about Weebly integration here.
- If your bot will be running on a BigCommerce site, and you haven't already downloaded Gobot from the BigCommerce app directory, click the BigCommerce button and follow the directions to complete the BigCommerce integration. The directions will direct you to login to your BigCommerce site, download Gobot, login to the Gobot site to copy the Gobot code snippet, return to BigCommerce to paste the Gobot code snippet in your BigCommerce website code, and then return to Gobot to publish your bot. You can find more detail about BigCommerce integration here.
- For custom sites, click on the Copy to Clipboard button to copy the Gobot code snippet you will need to add to your website html code. Paste the code before the closing <body/> tag on each page where you want Gobot to appear.
- At this point you can make further changes to your bot but you will need to save your bot and publish it again after your edits are complete. At any point you can pause your bot by clicking the Pause Bot button on the bottom of the center panel (this button is only present after your publish your bot). If you pause your bot you can make it live again by clicking the Make Live button (this button is only present after you pause your bot).
- Open a new tab and load your website (the one you listed in the Bot Setup page) and watch your bot run! To study your bot analytics, return to the Gobot builder site and click on the Analyze tab in the right hand panel - more on that here.
Copyright 2017, Gobot LLC, All rights reserved.